We are lucky enough to be living in Amsterdam on a work assignment. This is mostly rambling thoughts about our adventures and life here.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Microbia: It's the little things...

Upon entering this museum, we entered an elevator and told to look at our reflections on the ceiling, that got closer and closer and closer.  We stepped out into the room and we are welcomed by the words...

"When you look from really close, a new world is revealed to you.  More beautiful and spectacular than you could ever have imagined.  Welcome to Micropia."

The room is filled with Microscopes and information on all sorts of mini-life around/on/near us.




Here you can do a body scan and find out what lives on and in you. It is interactive and a little too detailed for me to handle - Gross








You can also see what type of kisser you are and get an estimated # of bacteria, so lovely!


Connor and Easton pose with their favourite microbe - the Water Bear.  This thing is really quite cool actually and can live for about 100 years, even being dehydrated, frozen, radiated, overheated, etc.!!


I didn't realise Malaria (on the left) and Ebola (on the right) were so beautiful! Although there is nothing beautiful about the effects on a person.




Here is the lab they grow all the microbes in. 

There are many more things at this museum, I confess I stopped here as I was feeling a bit too, up close and personal.  I did learn a lot of interesting things but to me, there are things I would rather not know about, haha.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing this Kristin. It's fun to see all the cool things you guys are up to. Getting excited for when we can come visit. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, there are things I don't need to know about! Looks like an interesting museum though, kind of artsy!

    ReplyDelete